On your UCAS application, you can share a mental or health condition with your university. This’ll help you get the information and help you may need while at university and help put you at ease.

How do I share my condition on my application?

Simply select ‘mental health condition’ from the drop down list and add more information in the free text box below if you wish. You don’t need to have a diagnosis to get support. 

This will be in the ‘more about you’ section towards the end of your application.

This information is never used to make a decision on your application – it's only shared with those who are responsible for arranging support.

There'll be a mandatory section which will say: 

Every year, over 60,000 students with a physical and/or mental health condition, long-term illness, or learning difference apply through UCAS to study at a university or college in the UK, and access a range of support available to help with their studies, day-to-day activities, travel, or lifestyle. 

Would you consider yourself as living with any of the following: 

  • A learning difference (e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia, or AD(H)D) 
  • A visual impairment uncorrected by glasses (e.g. blindness or partial sight) 
  • A hearing impairment (e.g. D/deafness or partial hearing) 
  • A physical impairment or challenges with mobility (e.g. climbing stairs or uneven surfaces), or dexterity (e.g. using a keyboard or laboratory equipment) 
  • A mental health condition, challenge or disorder (e.g. anxiety or depression) 
  • A social, behavioural or communication impairment (e.g. an autistic spectrum condition or Tourette’s Syndrome) 
  • A long-term illness or health condition which may involve pain or cause fatigue, loss of concentration or breathing difficulties – including any effects from taking associated medication. 
  • A condition or impairment not listed above (please give details in the box below) 
  • Two or more impairments or conditions (please give details in the box below)
  • None 

We don't need you to give details – this information will be shared with those involved in deciding to support you at the university or college (e.g., the student support team, admissions staff), and they may get in touch to tell you more.

It’s worth mentioning that not every university or college will have the capacity to offer you the support you need – make sure you scope out local organisations, such as Student Space, to see how they can help you – there’ll always be help and support available.

To mark the section as complete you will need to select an answer: either to share information or select 'No disability’.

You will see this question if you have a UK or Non-UK home address.

You do not need to have a diagnosis to get support. 
  1. The application is sent by secure transfer to the university or college admissions department

    All health data is handled confidentially under UK-GDPR legislation. 
  2. Admissions staff assess the application based only on the applicant's academic aptitude and potential to succeed on the course

    Information about an applicant’s health is kept confidential and only accessible to those who are responsible for organising support – it's not used to make an academic judgement.
  3. If the applicant is made an offer or invited to interview or audition...

    ...the information is transferred securely to the student support team where reasonable adjustments are organised as necessary. 
  4. Once an offer is accepted, the student support team may contact the student with information about the available support or to discuss the support available

    This may include completing a questionnaire, a visit to the university or college to arrange support, or more information about applying for DSAs. 
  5. Before the student's arrival...

    ...the student support team may draft a support agreement outlining any reasonable adjustments and discuss this with the student – taking account of DSA recommendations where applicable. 
  6. Prior to starting the course, the student support team will discuss the distribution of any support document with the student

    This'll be securely shared on a strict 'need to know' basis. This may include academic staff, the personal tutor, the accommodation team, library staff, and exams officers as appropriate. 

What if I want to wait?

If you'd prefer to wait until later before sharing this with your university (e.g. after you have received an offer), that’s no problem you can contact the university directly at any time. However, we recommend you do this well in advance of starting your course to make sure you can access the full range of support when you arrive. 

You're always in control of any support arrangements, and the university will discuss them with you. If you decide you don’t need the support, that’s fine – but it’s there if you change your mind or your circumstances change. 

Need more information?

If you'd like to read more about where you can get help and information at uni, even what other support is available, check out the links below.