Find a training programme
UCAS Teacher Training is the scheme you need to use to search and apply for the main university and school-based postgraduate training programmes in England and Wales. Use the three-step checklist below for advice on how to refine your search, and find the training programme that’s right for you.
1. Before you start your search
- Look into the different teacher training routes – we've created a video about the available training routes to help you think through the differences between the types of training programme, with insight from teachers.
- Check the entry requirements – there are some basic eligibility requirements you’ll need to meet to become a teacher in England or Wales. Some training providers may also have specific recruitment criteria. Remember, you can speak to your chosen training providers to find out more information before applying. In England, you’ll also need to pass the professional skills tests before you begin your training. The Department for Education has recently announced changes to the professional skills tests – find out what these mean for you.
- Decide which age group and subject you would like to teach – is your degree in your chosen subject or closely related? Depending on your experience, some training providers may ask you to complete a subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) course as a condition of their offer.
- Think about which UK country you want to train and teach in – although training programmes in England and Wales are broadly similar, the routes, eligibility, and funding options may vary. If you wish to study in Scotland or Northern Ireland, find out more about training to teach in the rest of the UK.
2. Once you're ready to start searching
You can narrow your search using a number of different criteria. This will show you training programmes that are most relevant to you and your needs.
If you want to search by the route into teaching
If you want to search for a specific provider
If you want to search by the subject or age group you want to teach
If you want to apply to teach languages
If you want to make sure you'll get a specific qualification
3. Once you hit the search button
Click the name of the training programme to find more details – such as entry requirements – to establish if it matches your qualifications. If you decide you'd like to apply, contact your chosen training provider to make sure they have spaces on that training programme before adding it as a choice.
4. Ready to apply?
You can apply to up to three training programmes on your UCAS Teacher Training application. You don’t have to use all three but if you do, you have to make them at the same time – you can’t add more at a later date.