Mark as read

Planned maintenance: 15 – 17 December

Due to planned maintenance, the services below will be unavailable from 20:00 on Friday 15 December until 23:59 (UK time) on Sunday 17 December:

  • UCAS Undergraduate Apply and Track
  • UCAS Conservatoires Apply and Track
  • UCAS Teacher Training Apply, Track, and the search tool
  • UCAS Postgraduate Apply
During this time, you won’t be able to work on your application, sign in to Track, or use the UCAS Teacher Training search tool.
Mark as read

Customer Experience Centre availability – 13 December

Our Customer Experience Centre will close at 15:45 (UK time) on Wednesday 13 December for staff training. It will open again, as usual, at 08:30 (UK time) on Thursday 14 December.

Visas, immigration and English language tests

If you live outside the UK, you’ll need to get a student visa to study here. Find out how to apply for one and what you'll need to do.
Relevant to

If you live outside the UK, you’ll need to get a Tier 4 student visa to study here – unless you’re an EEA or Swiss national. Once you’ve been offered a place on a course, the university or college will advise you on how to apply for your student visa from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

How to get a student visa

You can apply for your student visa up to three months in advance of your course start date. It normally takes up to 15 days, but could be longer at peak times, so make sure you apply early enough.

However, there are a few things you need to do first before you can send off your visa application.

  1. Add your passport number to your UCAS application – either when you’re filling out your details, or when you’re offered a place on a course.
  2. Prove your English language skills – your chosen university or college can advise you whether you need to take a UKVI approved English language test, or an alternative test or Skype interview. Find out more about English language requirements. Find out more about English language requirements.
  3. Accept an unconditional offer of a place on a course – then if your university or college has a Tier 4 Sponsor licence, they can give you Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
  4. Apply for a Tier 4 student visa – make sure you provide all the information and documents required – including your CAS (and English language test certificate if you needed one). You’ll also need to prove you can afford to study and live in the UK – check the UKVI financial requirements and our finance and support information.

Working in the UK after your studies

You might be able to apply for other visas after your course if you’d like to stay in the UK to work.