This page shows you all the extra tips international applicants might need to know when making UCAS Undergraduate applications.

Choosing a university course in the UK

In the UK, degree courses tend to be very specialised, allowing students to focus on their chosen subject from their first day. However, there are others that allow you more flexibility in what you study – so when you start searching for courses make sure you read the course descriptions carefully, and click through to university websites for further information.

What to study

Choosing a course and university or college

Speak to current students through Unibuddy 

Speak to students like Laura on Unibuddy

Speak to me about moving abroad and settling in a new country, what it's like to study in the UK, and anything else relating to uni that you can think of.

Remember, you can always click on the 'Buddies' drop-down option to filter by country of origin if you'd find that helpful. 

Visas and English language tests

You’ll need to prove your English language skills

You might need to take a specific English language test to get a place on a course.

If you need a student visa as well – which you can check if you need a student visa on the website – you might need to take an English language test approved by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). If so, and if you get a place on a course, your university or college will let you know what to do, and will help with your visa application. Check which English language tests your university or college is able to accept. This may be one of the secure English language tests (SELT) which must be taken in one of the SELT centres approved by the UK Home Office. View the approved secure English language tests and test centres that meet the Home Office’s requirements.

How to get a visa

You may need to arrange a visa

If you live outside the UK you’ll need to arrange a student visa – including if you’re an EEA or Swiss national coming to the UK after January 1 2021.

If so, you’ll need to prove your English language skills, and make an application through UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). Your university or college will help you to apply, and you can enter your passport details here on when you fill in your application or after you have submitted it.

How to apply

Financial support

You’ll get plenty of support during your course

There is a lot of a support for international students in the UK. Many course providers have international offices and student societies, activities and academic guidance, plus counsellors and advisers to help you feel welcome and supported throughout your time in UK higher education.

Support from your university or college

Information for parents of international students

Throughout the website you will see notes like this one pointing out parts of the application process which are different for international applicants. Most of the process is the same, but there are extra considerations like matching international qualifications to the UK equivalents, and arranging visas. Look out for these notes, and click below to get an introduction to the process, and a list of all the tips posted throughout the website.

Before you start your course 

Once you reply to any offers, you will start to receive information from your chosen university or college. During this time, if you receive something which seems suspicious, please contact your university to check it.