UK universities provide their students with a wide range of support before, during, and after they have completed their studies.

Pre-arrival and arrival support

All UK universities help international student prepare for their move to the UK by helping sort out your Student Visa. They will also run social media live chats, so you can ask questions.

Most universities will also arrange airport pick-ups, so book your slot. And after you arrive there will be plenty of events to welcome you and to help you settle in such as guided tours of the campus.

Financial support

Most UK universities offer financial support in the form of scholarships and bursaries to help international students cover the cost of their course, and in some cases even their accommodation and living costs.

The level of financial support differs from university to university, so do your research to find out what universities in the UK can offer you. There are several ways to research the varies bursaries and scholarships available at the time of your application. You might also be able to get extra funding support if you have a talent, such being an amazing athlete, so let the university know.

Bursaries and scholarships

Counselling service

If you are suffering from anxiety or stress about any part of your life you can get access to counsellors. This service can be run by the university, the Students' Union, or the chaplaincy on campus.

Medical support

If you have a disability, such as being in a wheelchair, a medical condition, or suffer from mental health problems, then universities in the UK can help you look after yourself while you're at university. Contact the international recruitment team at the university of your choice and explain your needs. They'll be able to tell you what support the university can offer you.

Accommodation support

Most universities offer international student accommodation for the first year within term time. If you have any specific needs when it comes to your accommodation, such as not being able to climb stairs, then get in touch with the student accommodation team before you arrive in the UK. Your university may also be able to offer you accommodation for you and your family if they are moving to the UK with you.

Career support

You can get help to secure a part time-job, internships, and a job after you graduate through the university’s careers department. This department can help you write a British style CV, help you draft covering letters for job applications and prepare for interviews.

More about CVs

Academic support

Support varies from workshops on how to write British style essays to one-to-one sessions that help you produce the best possible work that you can. If English is not your first language, most universities will provide classes to help you improve your spoken and written English.

You can also get help if you have learning difficulties, such as dyslexia, in the form of extra time to finish exams and essays and consideration being given to your writing and spelling when your course work is being marked. Make your university aware of anything that hinders your learning experience, and seek out support that is offered to international students.