This toolkit aims to help your students explore all kinds of possibilities after school or college at a UCAS Discovery event. This includes helping them identify where they’re at in their careers journey, recognise the skills needed to hold meaningful conversations with exhibitors, and decide the questions they want to ask so they can start planning their next steps. I hope you and your students find the resources useful and enjoyable.
UCAS Digital Learning Manager, and former teacher
Help your students get the best out of their visit to UCAS Discovery by following these three steps:
Students, parents, and guardians, yourself, and your colleagues… everyone is welcome to attend UCAS Discovery. And it all starts with registering for the event. Find your nearest venue and book your place below:
Once you’ve registered, you’ll also need to ask your students to register individually. We’ll then send them everything they need to thrive in the event, including personalised recommendations of exhibitors to visit, talks to attend, and much more.
The sooner students start exploring all the options, the more they will get out of meeting exhibitors and taking part in the live sessions on the day.
We’ve created a comprehensive lesson pack, 'Get ready for UCAS Discovery', which includes three activities that can be completed independently in 20 minutes as short sessions, or be combined for one 60-minute lesson.
By completing these three activities, students will be able to:
- identify what stage they are at in their careers journey
- list which exhibitors they want to see at a UCAS Discovery event
- recognise the skills needed to hold meaningful conversations with exhibitors
- write the questions they want to ask exhibitors and speakers at the event.
The full lesson pack includes:
- your full teacher guide
- your lesson slide deck for the classroom
- a student handbook for you to photocopy
- PDF copies of the UCAS Discovery mission cards
Our industry guides and employer profiles include case studies, latest facts and stats, and what careers they can go on to. Explore what an apprenticeship in a particular occupation might look like with tips on how to get there, painting a clear picture of the opportunities available.
With all your pre-event preparation complete, it’s time to head to UCAS Discovery.
There, you’ll find everything from:
- Get Started Here Zone – a place for your students to get advice and be signposted in the right direction.
- Mission cards – a new handout to inspire students at all stages of the journey to have meaningful conversations with universities and employers.
- Employers & apprenticeships – students can connect with experts to understand work-based study benefits and opportunities.
- The Big Q&A – the main area hosting chats with employers, universities, current students, and apprentices.
- UCAS Hub – our stand offers 1-2-1 advice from UCAS experts and provides access to UCAS tools and resources to help them decide their next steps.
- Subject talks – to help your students understand more about specific subjects.
- Chill & Charge – a space for your students to take some time out, relax, and have some lunch.
- Adviser Lounge – an area for you to take a break, network, and listen to talks from UCAS careers advisers.