This is a worksheet-based activity which aims to help dispel some of the myths that surround university. Students can complete the activity individually, in pairs, or as a group.
To follow the activity, each student will need a copy of our worksheet, below.
Use our teacher notes to guide the discussion, find additional resources, ways to adapt this for different year groups, and some follow-on activities for students.
- Ice-breaker activity: get students to share the funniest/silliest myth they have heard about going to university or what they generally know about universities.
- Distribute the worksheet, asking students to concentrate on the first side only. Ask students to decide whether they think the statements are true or false.
- Ask students to discuss the rationale for their decision with their partner or group.
- Ask students to turn over the page to see the answers and check if they were right or not.
- Feed back as a whole class and ascertain which statements were most often answered incorrectly.