A key factor when making the decision to move into higher education is finance – for estranged students, this can be a particular challenge.

Knowing what is available and how to apply for it will help prevent delays and give you time to collect the required documents.

The charity Stand Alone has created a detailed guide to financial support for estranged students.


Loren's story | Stand Alone

Loren, who is studying at Keele University, speaks about student finance, bursaries, and grants that are helping her with her studies.

Care leavers

If you have been in local authority care, you will be considered a ‘care leaver’ rather than ‘estranged'. Support is still available for you, but the way you access it may be slightly different.

More information for care leavers

Student finance

All applicants can apply for loans to cover tuition fees where applicable (paid directly to the university), and maintenance costs (paid directly into your bank account).

Find out what financial support you're eligible for

How and when to apply for student finance

Scholarships, grants, and bursaries

Applying with independent status

Students aged under 25 at the start of the academic year are usually considered ‘dependent’ and are expected to declare their parents’ income to means test their finance application. If these details are not provided (e.g. for students who are estranged from their parents), only the minimum level of financial support will be awarded. However, estranged students can apply as ‘independent students’ so their finance is calculated solely on their own income rather than their parents’ income – this allows them access to full financial support.

You will be considered independent for student finance if you meet any of the following criteria, as set by the Student Loans Company:

  • You have not communicated with either of your biological or adoptive parents for 12 months (this is flexible) before your course begins and the situation is irreconcilable.
  • You can show you have been financially independent for three or more years through employment or benefits (consecutively or non-consecutively) before your course begins.
  • Your parents cannot be traced or it is not possible, practical, or safe to make contact with them.
  • Your parents have significant mental or physical health problems which prevent you from contacting them.
  • Both of your biological or adoptive parents are deceased.
  • You are aged 25 or over when your course begins.
  • You are (or have been) married or in a civil partnership.
  • You have a child or dependent aged under 18 when your course begins.
  • You have been in local authority care for at least three months spanning your 16th birthday, and are irreconcilably estranged from your parents. In this instance, you would be considered a ‘care leaver’ – the support is still available, but the way you access it may be slightly different. Take a look at our advice for care leavers for more information.

For full information about applying for student finance as an estranged student, see Stand Alone’s Student Finance Guide for more details.

Providing evidence of estrangement

You might be able to apply for student finance as an estranged student if you’ve had no contact with both your parents for over a year. This means you will have had no written or verbal contact with either parent and this is unlikely to change. However, if you’ve had contact with either parent in the last 12 months, your application will still be considered.

You cannot apply as estranged just because:

  • your parents don’t financially support you
  • you don’t get on with your parents
  • you don’t live with your parents

To apply as an estranged student you will need to provide some evidence. The easiest way to do this is to fill in the ‘Confirmation of Estrangement Form’. You can get this form on your student finance account once you’ve submitted your application.

Otherwise, you can send a:

  • letter from your social worker
  • letter from a doctor that knows your situation
  • police report showing any related incidents
  • letter from a teacher that knows your situation
  • letter from a ‘person of good standing in the community’ (for example a solicitor, religious leader or a counsellor)

You don’t have to disclose the full details of your estrangement, however this could speed up your application.

If you don’t know a person who is aware of your family situation, you can contact the student services/wellbeing advisor at your college or university. They will be able to help you with your application. Their details can be found on the college or university website.

Stand Alone provide detailed guidance about supporting evidence. Remember to keep copies of all documentation you send.

Reapplying for student finance after your first year

If you started your course after September 2016, you will not have to provide further evidence if you confirm your situation is unchanged. However, if you were unable to provide supporting evidence for your first year, you may be contacted by the Student Loans Company for updated evidence for courses starting after September 2017. If providing sufficient evidence remains difficult, you may need another telephone review to confirm your situation hasn’t changed.

Additional funding

You may be eligible for bursaries, grants, or scholarships to help with the costs of being a student. Here are a few examples of organisations that help young people in need to continue their studies

Unite Foundation scholarships

The Unite Foundation Scholarship scheme helps estranged students access higher education by providing free accommodation for the up to three years of your course. Unite can sometimes also help you find work placements and mentors. Your application will need to be completed by you, but submitted by your university's student services team.

To find out which universities offer this scholarship, visit the Unite Foundation website. You can also watch a video about the Unite Foundation Scholarships.

Buttle UK grants

If you are under 21 and a UK resident, you may apply for a grant to help towards:

  • equipment for your studies, including computers
  • interview clothes
  • travel costs
  • accommodation (including furnishings)
  • emotional, mental, and physical wellbeing (e.g. counselling, sports or gym membership)

To apply, your university or college needs to refer you – student services can help with this. If you have already provided evidence of your situation for student finance, you will not have to provide anything else. More information can be found on the Buttle UK website.

The Helena Kennedy Foundation bursary scheme

If you are currently studying at an FE college or publicly-funded sixth form, you may be eligible to apply for an award of up to £1,500 towards the cost of continuing your education in the UK. The award also comprises support through free skills training sessions, work shadowing opportunities and placements, volunteering opportunities, and a named contact in the organisation who can provide advice and guidance throughout your studies.

For full details about the award, visit the Helena Kennedy Foundation website.

Local organisations

Young people aged 16+ in full time education may be able to apply for a grant from a local organisation. There are too many to list here, but you can search for different organisations on the charity Turn2us' website.

University hardship funds

Most universities have hardship funds available to students experiencing financial difficulties, for example covering the cost of accommodation over the holidays. Individual providers decide who is eligible, how much you will receive, and whether it is repayable. Some universities and colleges prioritise applications from estranged students. Contact student services at your chosen university for more information, or speak to the students' union.

Find out more about additional funding

More info and advice if you're going it alone

If you don’t have support from your parents due to a breakdown in your relationship, you will find everything you need to know here to help you prepare for uni life.