Youth and community worker

Youth and community workers provide support for young people.

What does a youth and community worker do?

Youth and community workers provide support for young people in their communities. This could involve running youth clubs, drama classes, sports clubs or drop in services. You’ll need to have good business skills as you’ll be dealing with budgets and applying for grants. 

What do I need to do to become a youth and community worker?

To become a professionally qualified youth worker in England, you will need a BA (Hons) degree in youth work that is recognised by the National Youth Agency (NYA). You do not need specific qualifications to become a youth and community worker in Wales, though a related degree is highly desirable. 

To get on a relevant degree you need five GCSEs A-C, including maths, English and science, and two A levels. There are no specific subjects required but relevant ones would include psychology, sociology, and law.

A level 3 course in health and social care would be relevant for this work.  Alternatively you may be able to progress to a degree from an apprenticeship, if you achieve a level 3 qualification. Check with universities regarding acceptability. 

Related skills

  • Teamwork
  • Physical fitness
  • Patience
  • Organisation
  • Numeracy
  • Communication
  • Creativity
  • Administration
  • Customer service
  • Leadership
  • IT
  • Interpersonal skills

Related subjects

  • Computer science
  • Design technology
  • Drama, music, and performing arts
  • English
  • Geography
  • History
  • Maths
  • Media studies
  • Physical education
  • Religious studies

Essential qualifications

  • NYA recognised youth work degree (in England)
  • DBS check

Desirable qualifications

  • NYA recognised youth work degree (In Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland)

Where to find out more

Where could I be working?

You may be working indoors or outdoors, depending on the activity you are organising. You could be based at a local youth club, community centre or religious centre (such as a church, temple or mosque).  

Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0

Related jobs

Job families