Here you’ll find everything you need to know about making an application to a university or college higher education course as a student not supported by either of their parents (estranged).

We'll guide you through every step of the higher education application process. Find all the information you need to choose the right course for you and apply to university.

  1. Choose which path is the best fit for your aspirations.
  2. Choose the course that's right for you.
  3. Register in the UCAS Hub, then fill in your UCAS Undergraduate application.
  4. Once you've completed your application, paid for it, and sent it to us, track its progress.
  5. Apply for student finance.
  6. Get your exam results to see if you've got a uni place. Missed out or changed your mind? Use Clearing!
  7. Prepare to start your studies.
  8. Make the transition to higher education study easier with our study skills guides.

Support from application through to graduation

The UCAS application

For students applying to start their course in 2023, UCAS has introduced a new section in the application so you can share more information about your circumstances with the university or college – including whether you are estranged from your parents.

This information means the university or college will be able to connect you to the right support for your needs quickly and easily and ensure you have all the information you need.

If you feel as though your relationship with your parents has irreconcilably broken down – or is in the process of doing so – just select ‘yes’ from the drop down box in the question that asks if you are estranged from your parents in the ‘More about me’ section of the application. You will not have to give any further details at this stage.

When you share this information, the university or college may get in touch with more information about how they can help you – and to tell you more about your options. This information is treated sensitively and only shared with those responsible for arranging support and helping you with your application. Knowing about your circumstances may also help admissions staff consider your achievements in context - it won’t reflect negatively on your application.

If you’d like to know more about sharing information about your care experience in the application, check our FAQs page and read this blog article from Stand Alone.

Not sure how to share information about your circumstances? Read LEAPS' advice and watch a step-by-step video guide to sharing your circumstances with your unis and colleges in the application. 

Personal statement

Some students wonder if they should mention their estrangement in their personal statement – this is a completely personal decision and you should only do so if you feel it is relevant to your application. We have worked with Stand Alone and estranged students to create a guide to writing your personal statement.

You're in control
If you decide you don’t want support, you can choose not to accept it. But, if you change your mind, or your circumstances change, it’s ready for you.
Research your options
Not all universities and colleges offer the same type of support, so do your research before applying to make sure they offer what you need.
Unis and colleges are there to support you

Some universities and colleges are committed to specifically supporting estranged applicants and students throughout their journey to higher education, often with a dedicated member of staff. This could include:

  • support with your application
  • help to find your feet in your first year
  • ongoing support right through to graduation

It’s a good idea to contact the universities and colleges you’re interested in before you apply, to find out what support they can offer you.

The Stand Alone pledge

Many universities and colleges have pledged their commitment to supporting students who do not have the support or approval of either of their parents due to a breakdown in the relationship (known as estranged) through the Stand Alone Pledge

Their website gives details of the 'champion institutions' who have taken the Pledge, along with details of the support they have committed to, and you can also listen to estranged students talk about their own experiences of higher education. Not all universities and colleges who offer support for estranged students have signed the Pledge, so if you don't see your choice on the website, it doesn't mean they can't help you. Check the university's website, or contact their student services office to see what's available.

Stand Alone also offers support groups and therapeutic workshops for people in a similar situation. Their website provides information about upcoming events.

Go Higher West Yorkshire has produced an e-resource aiming to be a ‘one-stop-shop' to make it easier for you to find out what support is available across its 13 West Yorkshire member providers in terms of getting into and succeeding in higher education, and progressing into employment or further study. 

Mental health advisers

Many universities and colleges have student support advisers based on campus dedicated to helping students with mental health difficulties. This help is not limited to people with a diagnosed condition – it is available to all students who would like some support to cope with any aspect of life. Mental health advisers can explain the different support services available, and discussing your particular needs or concerns will help them decide the best support for your needs.

You don't have to wait until you arrive at university or college to make contact with the mental health adviser – in fact, it is a good idea to do this when you have been offered a place on the course so they can make sure you're fully supported and feel confident when you arrive.

Buttle UK provides grants for estranged students who need financial help for access to emotional, physical, or mental health care. See our financial support information for more details.

Look after your mental health

Check out the advice about looking after your mental health on these websites:

Counselling services

Most universities and colleges provide students with access to counselling. Student services, or the students' union (or other student body) will be able to give you more info about what's available – make sure you check the university or college website too.

Mentoring and buddy networks

Some unis  and colleges have peer and staff mentoring schemes to help students make the successful transition to university and settle in. Some are specifically trained to help support estranged students and care leavers, and will make sure you can access the services and information you may need. Often, mentoring or ‘buddying’ takes place online, and this is sometimes available before the start of your course to support your transition to higher education. Check with the university or college to see if they offer this.

A handbook for estranged students

The EaCES Handbook is written by estranged and care experienced students, bringing together info and advice to help others – including their own experiences and practical tips.

Support during your exams at school or college

Special consideration

If your personal circumstances have adversely affected your exam performance, or caused you to be absent from an assessment through no fault of your own, your school or college may apply to the examination board for Special Consideration. They will consider your circumstances and, if appropriate, apply a small adjustment (up to 5%) to your overall mark for that component.

Exam results

It may be reassuring to know that, under the Data Protection Act 2018, your relatives cannot access your exam results without your consent.