To teach you need Initial Teacher Education or Training (ITET) based at a university, school or college in the UK.
As an undergraduate
As a postgraduate
Read through the info and apply for teacher training programmes below.
Applying for postgrad teacher training?
Do your research
Your training could be based in a university/college, or mainly in a school.
There are some qualifications and experience you’ll need to have to get a place on a training programme, and some further tests, questions and schemes to join.
- Look into the different postgraduate routes into teaching.
- Check what entry requirements you'll have to meet to apply.
You can apply online via the grey button below for an application fee of £19.
We want to give everyone as good a chance as possible to get a place that's right for them. To help we've divided the process into two parts – Apply 1 and Apply 2.
- Find out when to use Apply 1 and 2.
- See how to fill in the application form.
- Check what happens after you send your application to us.
Use these links if you're looking for extra details about teacher training.
Teacher training in different countries
- Department of Education for England
- Northern Ireland Department of Education
- Teach in Scotland
- Teacher Training & Education in Wales
Apply 2 starts – if you aren't holding an offer from Apply 1, you can now continue to apply online, adding one choice at a time.
The last date you can submit an application in Apply 1.
The last day you can add choices in Apply 2.
I love seeing teenagers grow and develop. It is demanding but the rewards in terms of seeing pupils develop far outweigh the hard work."
Sandrine Tonini, newly qualified teacher, Orkney