To teach you need Initial Teacher Education or Training (ITET) based at a university, school or college in the UK.
As an undergraduate: apply through the main undergraduate route.
As a postgraduate: through UCAS Teacher Training
Looking for training programmes starting in 2015? You can start applying for 2015 courses from the end of October 2014. Scottish courses are now available through our undergraduate scheme.
Been asked to be a referee? read our guide and log in.
Applying for postgrad teacher training?
Do your research
Our search tool will be available with 2015 training programmes from the end of October. In the meantime there’s plenty of research you can do.
There are some qualifications and experience you’ll need to have to get a place on a training programme, and some further tests, questions and schemes to join.
- Look into the different postgraduate routes into teaching.
- Check what entry requirements you'll have to meet to apply.
- In England and Wales you'll need to have passed the professional skills tests.
The application deadline for training programmes starting in 2014 has now passed. You can apply for training programmes starting in 2015 from the end of October.
To make sure you’re ready to apply when we open the scheme for 2015 applications, check out our information and advice.
- Read about what you’ll need to include in your application
- Find out how to write your personal statement
- Think about your references – you can't submit your application without them being complete
If you’re in Apply 2, you can still use our search tool to find programmes starting this year.
Use these links if you're looking for extra details about teacher training.
Teacher training in different countries
- Department of Education for England
- Northern Ireland Department of Education
- Teach in Scotland
- Teacher Training & Education in Wales
Key dates for 2014 applications
(You can start applying for 2015 courses from the end of October. We will confirm the date as soon as possible.)
12:00 midday is the deadline to submit a 2014 application in Apply 1.
The last day you can add 2014 choices in Apply 2.
I love seeing teenagers grow and develop. It is demanding but the rewards in terms of seeing pupils develop far outweigh the hard work."
Sandrine Tonini, newly qualified teacher, Orkney