What does EU Exit mean for you?

If you are a UK student studying in the EU, you should speak to your higher education provider, in the first instance, about completing your studies in the EU.

 For more information, see this on gov.uk.

The following is covered here:

Tuition fees and student finance support for EU nationals who start a course in the UK in the 2019/20 academic year, or before

EU nationals (and their family members) who start a designated course in the UK in the 2019/20 academic year, or before, will continue to be eligible for ‘home’ fee status (meaning they pay the same fees as domestic UK students). They will also receive student finance support for the duration of their course, provided they meet the residency and other eligibility requirements.

More information is available through the relevant funding agency:

Tuition fees and student finance support for EU nationals who are looking to start a course in the UK in the 2020/21 academic year

Government has announced that EU students starting university or college in 2020/21 academic year will have guaranteed home fee status and financial support for the duration of courses in England.

Similarly, EU students starting in the 2020/21 academic year will also have guaranteed ‘home fee’ status for the duration of their courses in Northern Ireland, and Scottish Government has confirmed it will meet the cost of tuition fees for eligible EU students starting their course in 2020/21, for the duration of the course.

Arrangements for access to student finance support for those starting a course in Wales in the academic year 2020/21 and beyond are being considered. If you’re thinking about deferring your application, please take this into consideration.

Options for students on completing their courses in the UK

The process of transferring varies by university/college, and from course to course, as does the time it takes to gather the appropriate documents, apply, and receive an acceptance from your preferred university or college.. 

What do I do next if I want to continue my studies in the UK?

1. Speak to your department office or course tutor.

You will normally have to fill in some paperwork, such as a declaration to say you want to end your studies, and request a copy of your transcript. You can also check these pages of the Department for Education’s website for the latest advice: UK students in the EU: continuing your studies and student finance arrangements in a no-deal scenario.

2. Search for undergraduate or postgraduate courses.

  • There are over 50,000 undergraduate and 20,000 postgraduate courses listed in the UCAS search tool, so it’s important you do your research.
  • Enter the subject, location, or university/college you’re interested in the UCAS search tool, and click the search icon.
  • Use the filters on the left-hand side of the page to narrow down your options. For undergraduate courses, you can filter by courses that will accept students directly into the second or third year of a degree course and/or those available for the 2019/2020 academic year.
  • Shortlist courses you’re interested in by using the shortlist icon.

3. Contact individual universities or colleges

Contact the universities or colleges you’re interested in applying to, to understand more about their criteria for accepting transfer students, including any requirements to supply copies of your transcripts.

4. Apply

  • Complete and submit your application by the relevant application deadline, selecting point of entry 2 or 3 if you are applying to transfer directly into the second or third year of the course.
  • Some postgraduate courses will require you to apply directly to the university or college.

Things to consider 

  • Make sure there are spaces on your chosen course(s). Use the UCAS search tool to find courses with places for the year you’d like to start your studies. 
  • Do you meet the entry requirements for the course you want to transfer to? Even if you've already completed some study at another university or college, there may also be some specific subject knowledge requirements you will need to meet. So, it’s important to check the course entry requirements on the course details page in the UCAS search tool.
  • You may be able to transfer directly into the second or third year of a degree course (sometimes referred to as 'advanced standing'), if you've studied enough similar content already. You can use the filter in the UCAS search tool to find courses that will accept applications from transfer students. You will also need to discuss this possibility with your chosen university or college, and enter this on your UCAS application as the ‘point of entry’.
  • You will be asked to provide details of all the modules you've already studied, including European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) credits, and any marks you’ve received. Ask your department office or course tutor to explain how to obtain your transcript.
  • How will I pay for my studies? Please see our student finance section.
  • You may also be required to attend an interview, or produce some additional work as part of the application process.

Where can I go for further information?

  • For more information about EU Exit and how it affects higher education students – the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) looks after the interests of international students and those who work with them. Read UKCISA's latest article on the EU referendum.
  • Take a look at what universities are saying about EU Exit – you can find links to their websites in the UCAS search tool.
  • Visit the FCO website and gov.uk.