Do I have to give information about being estranged?

No – it is entirely optional to give this information, and you do not have to let the university or college know if you don’t want to. However, we recommend that you do, so they can understand the context of your achievements and make sure you know about any support that can help you during your studies. Even if you don’t feel you need any extra support now, you may feel differently later on.

Find out more about the support you can get in higher education if you are estranged from your parents.

If you prefer, you can contact the university or college directly to discuss your circumstances and talk about any support you might need. If you have any questions, they will be happy to give you more detailed information and advice at any time before or after you apply. 

If you are still unsure, read this blog article which explains why sharing your circumstances is a positive step.

read more frequently asked questions