Do I have to give information about being a Service child?

No – it is entirely optional to give this information – you do not have to let the university or college know if you don’t want to. However, we recommend that you do, so they can understand the context of your achievements and make sure you know about any support that can help you during your studies. Even if you don’t feel you need any extra support now, you may feel differently later on. 

If you prefer, you can contact the university or college directly to discuss your circumstances and talk about any support you might need. If you have any questions, they will be happy to give you more detailed information and advice at any time before or after you apply.  

If you are still unsure, this blog article from the Ministry of Defence explains more about why UCAS asks this question, and why sharing your circumstances is a positive step.

read more frequently asked questions