Supported learning and SEND

You have lots of post-16 options, including:

  • staying on at a school 
  • going to a further education or specialist college 
  • applying for work-based training with an employer or training provider 
  • voluntary work

Getting the support you need

The government has changed the law on special education needs and disabilities (SEND). This means the people, organisations and services providing support will work together much more. It also gives you a greater say in your own support and helps prepare you for adult life, to continue your education and training, or find a job.

You'll be closely involved in deciding what support you need and how it's provided — whether or not you have an education, health and care (EHC) plan — which makes sure it focuses on your personal goals and ambitions, and helps you get where you want.

How the new service will work for you

The teachers and advisers you work with now, or at the school or college you’re applying to, will be able to give you information about support you can get. 

Your school or college must try to make sure they help you get the special educational support you need.

Specialist colleges offer extra facilities and one-to-one support you may not get at your local college or school. They might be helpful if, for example, you have sight or hearing difficulties, need medical care, or require special equipment.

Parents can read the DfE's guide for parents​.

Supported internships

Supported internships are for students with learning difficulties or impairments who want to get a job and need extra support to do this. They’re a good way to get the training and experience you need to get into work.