What is ‘kinship care’?

If you live full-time with relatives or friends who are not your parents, then you are considered to be living in kinship care. This could be family members such as your grandparent, a sibling, or an aunt or uncle. It could also be a neighbour, a godparent, or a family friend. This may have been the result of an informal arrangement with your parents, or a formal process through the local authority (e.g. under a Guardianship Order). Sometimes it is called ‘family and friends care’ or ‘connected persons care’.

read more frequently asked questions