Postgraduate teacher training
Find the programme that's right for you – if you're looking for programmes in England, you'll need to use the Department for Education's 'Find postgraduate teacher training' service. If you're looking for programmes in Wales and Scotland, you'll need to use UCAS' search tool
Looking for postgraduate teacher training programmes in Northern Ireland? Find out how to apply.
Undergraduate teacher training
If you don't already have a degree, you can apply for teacher training programmes to graduate with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
Use UCAS' search tool to find all undergraduate-level teacher training courses.
1. Do your research
- Look into the different teacher training routes – we've created a video about the available training routes to help you think through the differences between the types of training programme, with insight from teachers.
- Check the entry requirements – there are some basic eligibility requirements you’ll need to meet to become a teacher in England or Wales. Some training providers may also have specific recruitment criteria. Remember, you can speak to your chosen training providers to find out more information before applying.
- Decide which age group and subject you would like to teach – is your degree in your chosen subject or closely related? Depending on your experience, some training providers may ask you to complete a subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) course as a condition of their offer.
- Think about which UK country you want to train and teach in – although training programmes in England and Wales are broadly similar, the routes, eligibility, and funding options may vary. If you wish to study in Scotland or Northern Ireland, find out more about training to teach in the rest of the UK.
2. Find the right training programme for you
If you're looking for programmes in England, you'll need to use the DfE's 'Find postgraduate teacher training' service. If you're looking for programmes in Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, you'll need to use UCAS' search tool.
Before applying, contact your chosen training provider to make sure they have spaces on that training programme.
3. Ready to apply?
You can apply to up to three training programmes on your UCAS Teacher Training application. You don’t have to use all three but if you do, you have to make them at the same time – you can’t add more at a later date.