Undergraduate teacher training in England

Find out more about university-led undergraduate training, and non-graduate teaching routes in England.

If you don't already have a degree, you can apply for teacher training programmes to graduate with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). UCAS Undergraduate is the scheme to apply for the main university-led routes, and most (but not all) Level 5 post-16 teaching courses. Other more specialised teaching programmes, including Future Teaching Scholars, are not managed by UCAS and may have a different application process.

It's worth considering a number of different routes before you apply. Use our filter to narrow your search and explore your options.
UCAS Teacher Training is for postgraduate teacher training programmes in England and Wales. Apply through UCAS Undergraduate for all teacher training programmes in Scotland.

Bachelor of Education (BEd) degrees

Bachelor of Education (BEd) teacher training programmes are an undergraduate route for those who would like to follow a career in teaching, and graduate with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). BEd programmes typically last three years, and are a popular route for prospective primary school teachers. Some providers do offer secondary-level BEd programmes for specific specialisms.

Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BSc) with QTS

Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BSc) degrees with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) are popular with prospective secondary school teachers, and focus on developing specialist subject knowledge required to teach. 

Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BSC), and Integrated Master's (MA) opt-in QTS

This undergraduate route allows students to incorporate teacher training part way through their degree course, and graduate with both a degree in their subject and a recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Available in certain subjects, and from a select number of universities in England, opt-in QTS programmes are for prospective secondary school teachers only.

Find out more

Undergraduate degree plus postgraduate teacher training

You can take a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree course and train to teach after you graduate. Following undergraduate study, you can apply for a postgraduate teacher training programme to gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). If you are considering teaching after you graduate, you may wish to choose an undergraduate degree in a relevant national curriculum subject.

Find out more

Future Teaching Scholars programme

If you’re planning to study a maths or physics-related degree at a university in England, this six year programme offers financial support during your undergraduate years, as well as employment-based teacher training after you graduate.

Find out more

Troops to Teachers undergraduate bursary

A new Troops to Teachers undergraduate initial teacher training bursary was introduced from September 2018, to support Armed Forces veterans into teaching. The bursary, worth £40,000 over two years, is available to veterans who have left the forces in the last five years, and who study for an undergraduate degree with QTS in England, in a priority subject (biology, chemistry, physics, computing, maths, or languages).

Find out more

Diploma in Education and Training

Diploma in Education and Training (DET) programmes are non-graduate Level 5 teaching qualifications for the further education and skills sector. You can choose a university or college-led pre-service training route, or work as an unqualified further education teacher while training part-time.

Find out more

School Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT)

This teacher training route is designed and delivered by groups of neighbouring schools and Initial Teacher Training providers. Most of the training is delivered in the classroom by experienced teachers. Providers work in close partnerships with universities, enabling trainee teachers to gain a degree alongside working towards Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

Find out more