Mark as read

Browse Aloud currently unavailable

The Browse Aloud service is currently unavailable.

Additional funding

As well as a student loan, there's other financial support available from a wide range of sources. Find out more about funding your conservatoire course.
Relevant to

From your conservatoire

When you search for courses you can see if any bursaries, scholarships, or awards are available from the conservatoire. The amounts vary across different courses and locations – check the course listings and contact them for more info.


Take a look at the Scholarship Search website which has options for various types, levels, subjects, and locations of study.

Financial support

For students with children or adult dependants

Depending on where you live, you may be able to apply for financial support.

From Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, or Student Finance Northern Ireland:

  • a Childcare Grant could cover up to 85% of course childcare costs, depending on household income
  • the Parents’ Learning Allowance can help with course related costs if you have dependent children
  • an Adult Dependant’s Grant could help if you have an adult over 18 in your household depending on you financially

From the Student Awards Agency for Scotland:

  • a Dependant’s Grant could cover your husband, wife, civil partner, or partner (but not another student)
  • a Lone Parent’s Grant could help if you’re bringing up children on your own and you are single, widowed, divorced, separated, or your civil partnership has dissolved

For students in financial hardship

You can contact your conservatoire to find out how much funding might be available through regional funds for students in financial hardship.
  • University and college hardship funds in England.
  • Support Funds in Northern Ireland.
  • The Discretionary Fund in Scotland.
  • The Financial Contingency Fund in Wales.

For disabled students

You may be entitled to Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) for physical or mental impairments, long-term or mental health conditions, or specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia.

This funding covers the cost of the support you need – e.g. specialist equipment and non-medical helpers, like a note-taker or reader.

  1. First, you’ll need either a letter from your doctor or consultant confirming your impairment or health condition, or a diagnostic assessment of your learning difficulty from a psychologist or specialist teacher.
  2. Then you apply for a DSA through your regional funding organisation – Student Finance England, Student Finance Northern Ireland, Student Awards Agency for Scotland, or Student Finance Wales. It can take up to three months to arrange, so apply early.
  3. If you’re eligible, you’ll then have an assessment to work out what you need – find an assessment centre near your course provider via the DSAs Quality Assurance Group website.
  4. Once everything’s arranged, the money will be paid directly to your service/equipment providers, or to your bank account.

For students who are care leavers

If you’ve been in Local Authority (LA) care, you can apply for financial support from your course provider or your LA. Contact your personal adviser, social worker, or LA case worker for advice.

Find out more about support for care leavers

Was this page helpful?

Yes  No