Mark as read
Customer Experience Centre availability: 22 September
Our Customer Experience Centre will close at 15:00 on Friday 22 September for staff training. It will open again, as usual, at 08:30 (UK time) on Monday 25 September.
Mark as read
Planned maintenance: 22 – 24 September

We're carrying out planned maintenance from Friday 22 September until Sunday 24 September. This means at times, you may become disconnected from Apply. Please do not make any changes to your application during the following times:

  • 07:30 – 08:00 on Friday 22 September
  • 07:30 – 08:00 on Saturday 23 September
  • 14:00 – 15:00 on Saturday 23 September

Track will also be unavailable between 09:00 – 11:00 on Saturday 23 September.

The UCAS Teacher Training search tool will be unavailable from 18:00 on Friday 22 September until 23:59 on Sunday 24 September.

Train to teach in Wales

Find out about Initial Teacher Training (ITT) programmes, entry requirements, and funding in Wales.
Relevant to

Rhodri Gwyn Jones

Rhodri Gwyn Jones | Discover Teaching in Wales
Rhodri explains why he chose an undergraduate teacher training route. Video provided by Discover Teaching in Wales.
View more videos

Jane Wyn

Jane Wyn | Discover Teaching in Wales
Jane explains why she changed career and decided to teach. Video provided by Discover Teaching in Wales.
View more videos

Routes into teaching

To teach in a Welsh state school, you must have a degree, and gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) by following a programme of Initial Teacher Training (ITT). All teachers in Wales are also required to register with the Education Workforce Council (EWC).

In Wales, most training programmes are university or college-based, and you have a choice of programmes delivered in English or Welsh. QTS awarded by the Education Workforce Council in Wales is automatically recognised in England.

  • UCAS Teacher Training is the scheme to use to apply for the main postgraduate routes leading to QTS. If you don’t already hold a degree, you can apply via UCAS Undergraduate for teacher training programmes, to graduate with QTS.
  • Some more specialised teaching routes – including the Welsh Graduate Teacher Programme and Teach First – are not managed by UCAS and have a different application process. These training options offer different routes to gain QTS, depending on your professional or academic background.

Postgraduate training

University-led PGCE or PGDE

Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) and Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) training programmes are available for prospective primary and secondary school teachers. You'll get classroom experience by spending time teaching and being trained in at least two schools, as well as time at the university or college you’ve chosen, working with a group of other students and being taught by university staff.

Typically a one year programme, students must complete a minimum of 120 days in a school, among blocks of study at their chosen training provider.​ Spaces on popular teacher training programmes fill up quickly. Places are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis, so we would advise you to apply early. We've created a video about the available training routes to help you think through the differences between the types of training programmes, with insight from teachers.

Sign up to receive your free information pack – an online step-by-step guide to applying for postgraduate programmes through UCAS Teacher Training.

 Search for training programmes

Graduate Teacher Programme

For prospective primary and secondary teachers wishing to study for their Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in Wales, the Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP) is an employment-based route into teaching which offers a way to qualify as a teacher while you work. Programmes typically last for one year and require students to pass a newly qualified teaching year.

The GTP is very similar to School Direct (salaried) programmes in England, but is managed and delivered by the three regional teacher training centres in Wales. There are a limited number of primary and secondary places available on the GTP in Wales each year. Check entry requirements with the regional training centres – some training programmes have many more applications than places available, so their requirements might be higher.

Apply via Teacher Training and Education in Wales

Teach First: Leadership Development Programme

This option combines leadership development and teacher training, giving applicants the chance to become an inspirational leader in classrooms that need it the most. It is a two year salaried programme leading to a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) qualification. Following five weeks of intensive training, you’ll continue to learn on the job while you work towards QTS.

Apply via Teach First

Undergraduate training

University-led Bachelor of Education (BEd) degrees

An undergraduate route for those who would like to follow a career in teaching. BEds are a popular route for prospective primary school teachers, but some providers do offer secondary-level BEd programmes for some specialisms.

  • Bachelor of Education (BEd) programmes typically last three years. As part of the training programme, you will train and teach in at least two schools.
  • Training programme content will vary dependent on the provider, however, students tend to cover core subjects (English, maths, and science) in their initial year of study before a more in depth focus on their subjects and teaching practice.

Apply via UCAS Undergraduate

Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BSc) with QTS

Focused on developing specialist subject knowledge required to teach, a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science route is popular with prospective secondary school teachers. Not commonly used for those wanting to study for primary teacher training programmes, most providers only offer this route for secondary teaching, although some providers do offer primary options.

  • Typically, students will explore in depth their chosen specialism during the first year of study, while prospective primary teachers establish a deep understanding of the pedagogy of the teaching of learning.
  • Years two and three of study are centred on school experience to prepare you for the workplace.​

Apply via UCAS Undergraduate

Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE): Introduction to Secondary Teaching

This Wales-only training route is for prospective secondary teachers who may not have any formal academic qualifications, but do have a passion for maths, science, or design technology. This route gives you the chance to earn the credits needed to meet the entry requirements for BSc (Hons) degree programmes, enabling you to work towards QTS in three years.

Apply via UCAS Undergraduate

Entry requirements


The teaching profession looks for the highest quality candidates, so you’ll need to meet the following requirements before you can be accepted for a training programme.

  • For PGCE and PGDE programmes, you’ll need to hold an undergraduate degree awarded by a UK higher education provider, or a recognised equivalent qualification.
  • You’ll need to have achieved a standard equivalent to grade B, or above, in the GCSE examinations in English and mathematics before your training programme starts.
  • If you intend to train to teach pupils aged 3 – 11 (early years and primary), you must also have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade C, or above, in a GCSE science subject examination.
  • Unlike in England, applicants wanting to become a teacher in Wales are not required to pass the professional skills tests in literacy and numeracy. However, check with the training providers you’re interested in – some training programmes may have additional requirements you will need to meet.
  • If you studied outside the UK, check the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) website to find out whether your qualifications are of an equivalent level to UK GCSEs, A levels, and an undergraduate degree. If you have non-UK qualifications, you will need a Statement of Comparability from NARIC. This can take some time, so we would advise you to start the process before you submit your application.

Non-academic requirements

As teaching involves working with children on a daily basis, there are some non-academic requirements you'll need to meet to make sure teaching’s the right job for you.

  1. School experience

    You may be required to have up to two weeks’ classroom experience before you begin teacher training. While it is not essential, it is recommended that you arrange some form of school experience.

    If you can spend some time observing and helping out with lessons in a local school before you apply, it will help strengthen your application. You can use the experience in your personal statement, showing what you’ve gained from it and how it’s increased your motivation to be a teacher.
  2. Medical fitness

    When you accept a place on a training programme, your training provider may send you a health questionnaire to find out about your medical fitness. Some applicants may be asked to have a medical examination. If you have a disability, it’s helpful if you give us full details on your application, so training providers can try to make any adjustments you may need.

  3. Declaration of criminal convictions
    If you have a criminal record, it won’t necessarily prevent you becoming a teacher. You’ll need to disclose any criminal convictions, cautions, or bind-overs, and you’ll need to agree to an enhanced criminal record check. We also advise you to discuss your circumstances with training providers before you apply.
  4. Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) in England and Wales
    This is the Government scheme that replaced the Criminal Records Bureau. This enables training providers to identify people who are barred from working with children and vulnerable adults. Check with the DBS to see what you need to do to comply with these arrangements.

Fees, funding, and support

The amount providers charge varies – for UK and EU students, it can be up to £9,250 per year for a full-time training programme starting in 2017. You can see how much your chosen provider charges when you use our search tool to find postgraduate training programmes. Alternatively, you can find this information on the training provider’s website.

In Wales, you may be eligible for funding through tuition fee loans, training grants, or salaried programmes to support you during your training:

  • Training grants – postgraduate funding is available for training to teach a range of subjects in Wales. The level of funding and eligibility will vary depending on the subject you choose to teach, and your degree classification. For more information, visit Teacher Training and Education in Wales.
  • Welsh Medium Improvement Scheme – you can apply for financial support to help teach secondary subjects effectively in Welsh. The level of funding and eligibility may vary – check with your training provider for more information on courses that qualify for the scheme.
  • Salaried training – the Graduate Training Programme (GTP) is an employment-based route into teaching which offers a way to qualify as a teacher while you work. Visit Teacher Training and Education in Wales to find out more.
  • Tuition fees and maintenance loans – postgraduate and undergraduate trainees are entitled to student finance to help cover training programme fees and living costs. Check the Student Finance Wales website to find out what you might be eligible for.

Why teach in Wales?

 Visit the Discover Teaching website for more information, support, and guidance about what it is like to train and teach in Wales.