Undergraduate teacher training in England

Find out more about university-led undergraduate training, and non-graduate teaching routes in England.
Relevant to

If you don't already have a degree, you can apply for teacher training programmes to graduate with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). UCAS Undergraduate is the scheme to apply for the main university-led routes, and most (but not all) Level 5 post-16 teaching courses. Other more specialised teaching programmes, including Future Teaching Scholars, are not managed by UCAS and may have a different application process.

Bachelor of Education (BEd) degrees

Bachelor of Education (BEd) programmes typically last three years. In a university-led training programme, students explore the principles of teaching and learning. Training programme content will vary dependent on the provider, however, students tend to cover core subjects (English, maths, and science) in their initial year of study, before a more in-depth focus on their subjects and teaching practice.

An undergraduate route for those who would like to follow a career in teaching, BEds are a popular route for prospective primary school teachers. Some providers do offer secondary-level BEd programmes for specific specialisms. As part of the training programme, you will train and teach in at least two schools.

Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BSc) with QTS

Focused on developing specialist subject knowledge required to teach, a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science route is popular with prospective secondary school teachers. Not commonly used for those wanting to study for primary teacher training programmes, most providers only offer this route for secondary teaching, although some providers do offer primary options.

Typically, students will explore in depth their chosen specialism during the first year of study, while prospective primary teachers establish a deep understanding of the pedagogy of the teaching of learning. Years two and three of study are centred on school experience to prepare you for the workplace.​

Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BSC) without QTS

You can also take a BA or BSc and train to teach after you graduate. Following undergraduate study, you can apply for a postgraduate teacher training programme to gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). If the undergraduate degree you choose isn't relevant to the subject you want to teach, the university or school you apply to may ask you to take a subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) course. Search for undergraduate degree courses.

Apply via UCAS Undergraduate

Future Teaching Scholars programme

This six year, full-time programme is for outstanding A level students with a passion for maths or physics. It offers financial support during your undergraduate years, as well as employment-based teacher training after you graduate. Applicants must be planning to study a maths or physics-related degree at a university in England.

Following three years of undergraduate study, the fourth year is centred on postgraduate teacher training, with years five and six spent being employed in a school as a maths or physics teacher.

Apply via Future Teaching Scholars

Troops to Teachers

This option provides an opportunity for exceptional former service personnel who are currently in the resettlement cycle to train as teachers. It is a two year salaried programme run by the University of Brighton for non-graduates, leading to QTS and a degree qualification.

Applicants must be planning to teach secondary maths, biology, chemistry, physics, computing, or modern foreign languages, and be able to provide evidence of academic achievement and specialist subject knowledge.

Apply via UCAS Undergraduate

Professional Certificate in Education (PCE) and Certificate in Education (CertEd)

You can become a post-16 teacher in England without a teaching qualification, but it’s a definite advantage to have one as many employers expect them. You can choose a university or college-led pre-service training route, or work as an unqualified further education teacher while training part-time.

Typically one year long, the Professional Certificate in Education (PCE) and Certificate in Education (CertEd) programmes meet the requirements of the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (DET), and are recognised teaching qualifications for the post-16 sector.

You can apply for Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status once you’ve successfully completed your training. Once achieved, QTLS is equivalent to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in England, allowing you to work as a qualified teacher in state schools.

Apply via UCAS Undergraduate