Mark as read

Browse Aloud currently unavailable

The Browse Aloud service is currently unavailable.

Mark as read

Issue with UCAS Undergraduate Track updates now resolved

Recently, some applicants experienced an issue with updates not displaying in UCAS Undergraduate Track – this has now been resolved. If you were affected by this issue, please sign in to Track to see your updated application.

Know your rights!

Find out more information about your rights under consumer law, to help you make sure you are treated fairly during your undergraduate studies.
Relevant to

Choosing the right course and university or college is a very important decision – you’ll be investing a lot of time, money, and effort, and it can be difficult to change if you’re not satisfied. Knowing your rights under consumer law will help make sure you get all the information you need and are treated fairly during your studies. You can find out more about this on the Competition and Markets Authority website.

A word of warning: This information only applies to students who are ‘consumers’ under consumer law. Generally speaking, if you are acting for purposes outside your trade, business, or profession, you will be considered a ‘consumer’. See the below section ‘What can you do if things go wrong?’ for organisations that can give you further advice on whether you are a ‘consumer’ under consumer law.

What should you check when choosing a university or college and course?

To help you make an informed decision about where to apply and what to study, and whether to accept an offer, the university or college is required to make information available to you.

You should read and understand this information before making a decision. You should also be given a reasonable opportunity to read and understand the terms and conditions of the contract between yourself and the university or college before you accept their offer of a place.

What should you expect when you get to university or college?

Once you accept an offer of a place, a contract is formed and the university or college’s terms and conditions apply. These must be fair, limiting their scope to change the cost or content of a course.

What can you do if things go wrong?

If you think your university or college may not have met its obligations under consumer law, speak to the staff delivering the course, those who deal with student problems, or the student advice office or students' union. If you think it is still unresolved and wish to make a complaint, you should do this using the university or college’s complaints process, which must be fair, transparent, and easily accessible to students.

Alternatively, you could contact your NUS adviser, Citizens Advice (England, Wales, and Scotland) consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06, or Consumerline (Northern Ireland) on 0300 123 6262.

These consumer helplines are staffed by trained consumer advice professionals. They will be able to advise you whether a HE provider appears to have met their obligations under consumer law or not. They can also give you advice about your particular issue and possible remedies. The Citizens Advice consumer service can also help you report a problem to Trading Standards.

If you are not happy with how your university or college handles a complaint, you may be able to refer it to an independent complaints scheme, such as the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for England and Wales, or the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman.

Was this page helpful?

Yes  No