Mark as read
Customer Experience Centre availability: 22 September
Our Customer Experience Centre will close at 15:00 on Friday 22 September for staff training. It will open again, as usual, at 08:30 (UK time) on Monday 25 September.
Mark as read
Planned maintenance: 22 – 24 September

We're carrying out planned maintenance from Friday 22 September until Sunday 24 September. This means at times, you may become disconnected from Apply. Please do not make any changes to your application during the following times:

  • 07:30 – 08:00 on Friday 22 September
  • 07:30 – 08:00 on Saturday 23 September
  • 14:00 – 15:00 on Saturday 23 September

Track will also be unavailable between 09:00 – 11:00 on Saturday 23 September.

The UCAS Teacher Training search tool will be unavailable from 18:00 on Friday 22 September until 23:59 on Sunday 24 September.

UCAS Undergraduate: what to study

Trying to decide what degree you should do? Find information and advice about choosing what to study and where to go to university.
Relevant to
Choosing courses
There's a lot to consider when choosing a course, so our guide gives you hints on what to think about.
View more videos
Signed choosing courses video
This signed video takes you through what to consider before deciding on what and where to study.
View more videos

1. Choose a subject

  • The important thing is to choose a subject you’ll enjoy that will help you reach your goals.
  • Think about what you enjoy doing day-to-day – maybe this could be part of a future job role.
  • Explore jobsites and graduate careers to look for ideas to work or study towards.
  • Take a look at our subject guides to get an idea of the types of subjects you could study.

2. Choose a type of undergraduate course

Most students study for an undergraduate degree.

These are dynamic academic environments with lectures and seminars, usually made up of different modules adding up to the full degree. Each course varies in learning styles, assessment methods and topics studied – and you'll usually get to choose some of the modules you take.

Options for achieving a degree

Here are some examples of the types of undergraduate courses you can do:

There are quicker qualifications too.

They don't lead directly to a degree, but you can go on and join the second or third year of a full degree if you change your mind and want to graduate after all.

  • One year of a degree – a Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE).
  • Two years of a degree – a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE), Higher National Diploma (HND) or a Foundation degree, which combines academic study with workplace learning.

3. Choose where to study

Some students set their heart on a particular uni, while others just want to choose the course they like the sound of best. Either way is fine, but there are a few things to check first.