Here we'll keep you updated with the latest information.

If you’re unhappy with one or more of your calculated grades, you may be thinking of talking to your school or college about appealing. The process for this differs depending on where you live in the UK and it’s worth bearing in mind that exam regulators are still finalising the details. The latest info can be found below:

England read Ofqual’s guidance on appeals and sitting autumn exams

Scotland get the latest updates on the appeals process from SQA

Wales see the Qualifications Wales details on appeals

Northern Ireland read CCEA’s guidance on the appeals process

What you need to know

How do I appeal?

If you are unhappy with your grade(s), the first thing you need to do is talk to your school or college. They can advise what your options are and will submit a request to the exam board on your behalf – you cannot do this yourself.

If you are an independent applicant, you will need to talk to the centre that submitted your grades about making an appeal. Find out more.

The Government in England has said there will be no charge for appeals. 

What happens to my application if my grades are appealed? Will the university hold my place?

The best thing to do is contact your university or college as soon as possible to discuss your situation.

If the university of college agrees to hold your place, make sure you keep them up-to-date and let them know if anything changes. If unfortunately they can’t hold your place, or your appeal is unsuccessful, don’t forget there are still plenty of courses available through Clearing which is open until 19 October.

While you’re waiting for your appeal and to find out if you’ve got your firm place, we advise you to look for places in Clearing at the same time.

If I decide to sit my exams in the autumn, what happens to my university place?

If you’re based in England, you have the option to sit your exams this autumn and get your results in December. If your place is dependent on your results, you won’t be able to start university this autumn.

In some cases, universities and colleges may offer January start dates for certain courses, so it is a good idea to contact them to see if this is an option. Alternatively, they may be able to defer your entry to next year, giving you the chance to sit the exam (in autumn or the following summer). Give them a call to find out your options.

If my grades are being appealed, when should I let my uni know?

You need to let your university or college know straight away. 

I've appealed my grades to get into my firm choice but have since secured a place elsewhere. What do I need to do?

You do not need to do anything in these circumstances, your new choice is confirmed and you’re off to university! 

Get more advice about dealing with unexpected grades