What's on this page?
2024 entry dates
|2 May 2023||UCAS search tool displays 2024 courses.|
|9 May 2023||Adviser portal opens for 2024 entry.|
|16 May 2023||Undergraduate applications open for 2024 entry.|
|12 July 2023||Conservatoires applications open for 2024 entry.|
|5 September 2023||Completed undergraduate applications can be submitted to UCAS.|
|2 October 2023||Closing date for conservatoires music applications.|
|16 October 2023||Applications for Oxford, Cambridge and most courses in medicine, dentistry, and veterinary medicine/science should arrive at UCAS by 18:00 (UK time).|
|31 January 2024||Applications for the majority of undergraduate courses should arrive at UCAS by 18:00 (UK time) on the equal consideration date.|
|Closing date for most conservatoires dance/drama/musical theatre applications.|
Changes to academic references
We’re changing the reference for 2024 undergraduate entry to help advisers focus their references on the areas providers want to know more about.
- Universities and colleges have told us that it’s becoming challenging to meaningfully compare applicants’ academic references as the content varies from referee to referee.
- Advisers report increasing pressure to invest more and more time in compiling the references with an expectation that this will increase applicants’ chances of success.
What are we doing?
We’re replacing the free text approach with three structured sections. These sections will start from the 2024 entry cycle opening in May, for all undergraduate applications:
- Advisers have built-in clarity and confidence they are providing information that is useful.
- Advisers have more time and resources to allocate to students on the discovery phase of their application journey.
- Students have more transparency over the information shared about them.
- Providers can easily find information to make selection decisions and target support.
Supporting student choice in 2024
For the 2024 cycle we’ll be simplifying our application fee to support student choice. This decision will enable all applicants to take advantage of the additional services available, including UCAS Extra, Clearing, and Clearing Plus.
This one-off application fee will mean all UCAS Undergraduate applicants can add five choices to their application, and utilise these additional services should they need to, opening up choice in a competitive admissions landscape.
The single application fee will no longer be available so the fee for all 2024 undergraduate applications will be £27.50.
Changes to the gender question
In the 2024 cycle, we’ll be introducing two additional responses:
- I use another term
- I prefer not to say
We’ll continue to work with students, advisers, and providers to explore how we can improve the options available for future cycles.
Student access to grades tool
The historic entry grades tool is currently an adviser portal feature that shares course-level information, on the grades students held when entering higher education.
Students have told us this information would help them make informed decisions about their future when narrowing down their application choices.
So later this year the entry grades tool will be available on ucas.com, to give students visibility over a range of grade profiles accepted for entry, to courses over a five-year period (where data is available). Testing shows the reports encourage students to find options they previously thought were unavailable to them.