Where to study
Study at a conservatoire – here the emphasis is on practical development with individual tuition and performance opportunities to help you towards a career in the creative arts.
Through UCAS Conservatoires, you can apply for courses at the following UK conservatoires:
- Royal Birmingham Conservatoire
- Bristol Old Vic Theatre School
- Leeds Conservatoire
- Royal Academy of Music
- Royal College of Music
- Royal Northern College of Music
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
- Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
Or you could study at a university – here the focus is more on academic study, and could be combined with other subjects to give a broad critical and theoretical education.
The alternatives to higher education
- Work – apply for jobs now, or start a business, with the aim to work up to your future goals.
- Training – prepare for the world of work, or learn on the job while you work.
- Volunteering – gain experience to help you towards your work or study aspirations.
- Travel – get cultural insights during working holidays, learning, conservation or teaching.
Preparing for the next step
There are lots of extra-curricular activities that can help you decide your future, as well as looking great on your UCAS Conservatoires application or your CV.
Gain experience and explore your interests
- Join a club or society in your local area – perhaps in something sporting, creative or musical.
- Develop your skills with ASDAN, Duke of Edinburgh, National Citizen Service or young enterprise.
- Take on a part-time job, or volunteer with the vInspired Awards, Step Together or Project Trust.
- You may also be able to get accreditation in personal effectiveness from ASDAN for activities that prepare you for higher education
International and EU students
You’ll need to be able to demonstrate your English language skills to study a course in the UK – so think about whether you’ll need to improve your English.
Don’t worry if you feel unprepared for higher education – if you don’t have any particular qualifications, you may find your life experience has already given you everything you’ll need.