UCAS Undergraduate: international and EU students

Over 500,000 international students study in the UK every year. Find out the benefits of UK study, how to apply, and how to get a visa.
Relevant to
Studying in the UK
If you're thinking of studying in the UK, watch our video to hear from international students studying in the UK now.
Advice for applying to the UK
Watch this video to get tips from international advisers about applying to the UK.
Related videos
All videos

EU student fees update

In a written statement on 23 June 2020, Universities Minister, Michelle Donelan, announced that from August 2021 EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals will no longer be eligible for home fee status undergraduate, postgraduate, and advanced learner financial support from Student Finance England for courses starting in academic year 2021/22. This change will also apply to further education funding for those aged 19+, and funding for apprenticeships.

Note that EU students entering HE in 2020/21 will continue to pay home fees for the duration of their course and be eligible for the UK’s EU settlement scheme if they arrived before the end of this year (31 December 2020). Students who start university or college in the 2020/21 academic year but arrive after 31 December 2020 will also be eligible for home fees but will need to apply for a student visa.

This will not apply to Irish nationals living in the UK and Ireland whose right to study and to access benefits and services will be preserved on a reciprocal basis for UK and Irish nationals under the Common Travel Area arrangement.

Governments in the rest of the UK are yet to confirm arrangements, but we’ll communicate their position as soon as it is known.

Coronavirus – impact on international applicants   

We’re aware of changes to arrangements due to COVID-19 for a number of English language tests: 

Assessment arrangements and availability of results for international qualifications may also be subject to change.

More information can be found on the websites of the international awarding bodies below:

You might also may also be interested in the latest updates from UKCISA, the UK Council for International Student Affairs.

Benefits of studying in the UK

Undergraduate courses here can offer a fantastic mix of valuable skills, diverse culture, innovative industries and academic excellence.

How to apply

You do all your research and applying for courses online through the UCAS website.

Firstly, the way that UK higher education works means there are different rules for UK, EU and international students. We’ll highlight the similarities and differences throughout ucas.com, but it might be worth checking our guide to UK higher education terms too.

  1. Then get started on what to study, when to apply and how to get a place and a visa.
  2. Then find a course, and look out for our advice on how to choose a suitable course and university.
  3. Then start applying, submitting your application before 15 January (18:00 UK time) if possible, (or 15 October 18:00 UK time the year before for Oxford, Cambridge or most medicine, veterinary and dentistry courses).
  4. Then look at finance and support, if you’ll need to arrange visas and to pay course fees or adjust to life in the UK.

Advice for international applications

You can download step-by-step guides here – including guides in other languages – and we have specific tips for international students throughout our website.

You can also speak to current undergraduate students for advice:

Chat to students like Jiawen on Unibuddy! 

Speak to me about moving to London from Shanghai, filling in my visa application, and anything else relating to uni that you can think of!

Remember, you can always click on the 'Buddies' drop-down option to filter by country of origin if you'd find that helpful. 

Was this page helpful?

Yes  No