UCAS' personal statement tool
This tool is designed to help you think about what to include in your personal statement, and how to structure it. It also counts how many characters you’ve used, so it’s easy to see when you’re close to the 4,000 character limit. But be warned – it doesn’t save your work, so it’s important you copy, paste, and save your work regularly into a word processing document.
Personal statement tool features:
Struggling to get started, or running out of things to say on your personal statement? As well as having a character counter to keep you on track, it's got a whole host of questions and prompts to get you writing, including:
- Why do you think you're suitable for the course(s)?
- Do your current or previous studies relate to the course(s) that you have chosen?
- Universities like to know the skills you have that will help you on the course, or generally with life at university. List these skills here and any supporting evidence to back up why you are so excited about the courses you have chosen.
- Include any other achievements you’re proud of, positions of responsibility that you hold or have held both in and out of school, and attributes that make you interesting, special, or unique.
- Include details of jobs, placements, work experience, or voluntary work, particularly if it's relevant to your chosen course(s). Try to link any experience to skills or qualities related to the course.
Once you’ve finished writing for now, remember to click preview to make sure you’re happy with how it looks on the page, and then either export it as a PDF, or copy and paste it into a word processor to save it, using our built-in functionality.
If you need any more guided advice, there’s also a link in the personal statement tool to our dedicated personal statement hub.
Create your UCAS Hub today
To start using our personal statement tool, just sign up for the UCAS Hub – you'll also be able to search for universities, colleges, courses, apprenticeships, and open days, calculate your UCAS Tariff points, and more!