It’s important to know what health and wellbeing support is available to you during your studies – find details here.

Counselling services

Most universities and colleges provide counselling for students who need emotional support. Student services or the students’ union (or other student body) can give you information about what’s available – make sure you check the university or college website too.

Mental health advisers

Student support teams often include specialist advisers dedicated to helping students with mental health difficulties. This help is not limited to people with diagnosed conditions – it’s available to all students who would like support to cope with any aspect of life. Mental health advisers can explain the different services available – discussing your particular needs or concerns will help them decide the best support for your needs.

You don’t have to wait until you arrive at university or college to contact the mental health adviser. In fact, it’s a good idea to contact them when you have been offered a place on the course, so they can ensure you’re fully supported and feel confident when you arrive.

Check out UMHAN (University Mental Health Advisers Network) for more information, and the student mental health charity, Student Minds.

Buttle UK provides grants for estranged students who need financial help for access to emotional, physical, or mental health care. See our financial support information for more details.

Was this page helpful?

Yes  No