UCAS is an independent charity providing information, advice, and admissions services. We're there to help people figure out what the next step in their education might be, and to support them when they take that step.
We earn money from:
- application fees paid by applicants
- capitation fees paid by universities and colleges for each student who is accepted
- income generated by our wholly-owned subsidiary, UCAS Media Ltd, which gift-aids its profits to the charity
We don’t get any direct financial support from the government. That's why we have commercial activities to help us deliver our charitable objectives, and keep costs down for students and education providers.
We are governed by a Board of Trustees, made up of a balance of representatives from higher and further education backgrounds, including three heads of providers of higher education as well as independent trustees.
What do we do?
In 2019, our undergraduate admissions service handled 2.79 million applications from 706,435 UK, EU, and international students. We’re proud to have helped 541,240 students secure a full-time place at one of 337 universities and colleges across the UK.
We also help UK conservatoires (UCAS Conservatoires), Initial Teacher Training (UCAS Teacher Training), and taught postgraduate courses (UCAS Postgraduate) by providing information, advice, and admissions services.
We want to make this process easier for everyone. That's why we publish a growing volume of data and analysis, all of which is freely available to download and re-use from our data and analysis pages. In our end of cycle data resources alone, there are over 4 million data points available to download in PDF and .csv format, covering applicants, provision, and providers.
While our core business is admissions to full-time undergraduate education, we've also got big plans elsewhere. Our Corporate Strategy for 2020-2025 sets out our aim to:
- inspire and empower people to make aspirational choices about higher education and learning
- deliver trusted and flexible admissions services for the digital age
- be the go-to place for higher education data-driven insights
- connect the world to UK higher education
- embed efficiency and value in everything we do
- be an employer of choice where people flourish, perform, and achieve
We know that there are many routes to higher education. By embracing the wide perspective of the student journey – including apprenticeships and employment – we can help make alternative options more widely-used.
Want to know more?
- Read about our services
- Access key documents from UCAS