What happens, when, and what your students need to do to avoid delays to their application.

What’s UCAS’ role?

We receive assessment grades and results from many awarding bodies. We then match these to your students’ applications and send them to the universities and colleges that are holding offers for them.

View the list of results we receive and forward to universities and colleges.

Are your students taking an examination not listed in the above?

It’s really important they send their results/certificates to their firm and insurance choice universities or colleges as soon as they receive them! Unis and colleges will need to see proof of qualifications listed in the ‘Education’ section of their application – this includes GCSEs or National 5s or equivalent.

Sending proof of qualifications is equally important to students with international qualifications.

What happens, when?

Results days are available in our key dates.  

Applicants can view Confirmation decisions in their application, which is updated continuously except for the periods when we are processing results during the embargo period – ucas.com alerts will give details of when information is available in the lead up to results days. Applicants are no longer be presented with an ‘AS12’ Confirmation letter once their place is confirmed. The 'CU12' Confirmation letter for UCAS Conservatoires applicants will still be available in their application.

You can view details of your students’ applications, including Confirmation decisions, in the adviser portal.

How you can help

There are a number of ways you can help your students throughout the exam results process.

Changes to qualifications details

Complete our qualifications amendment form straightaway if any of your students’ qualification details change, and let the universities/colleges know too. That includes anything from qualification subjects, modules or units, to awarding/examining bodies and centre numbers. We cannot add or amend predicted grades or units.

It's important to tell us, as it could delay the processing of results. If results can’t be verified, your student might not get their place.

If anything affects your students’ results, we advise the applicant to contact the university or college that's holding their place, either as a firm or insurance choice. They should explain their situation, and provide a supporting letter from their school, college or exam centre (with supporting documentation if necessary, e.g. a letter from the doctor if it’s a medical issue).

Late results

Universities and colleges have until 8 September to receive exam results, unless they specify a different date. If the results aren’t available by this date, they’re not obliged to hold a place. If you know of any results likely to be subject to delay, it’s important to let the university or college know in good time.

Important qualification information

International Baccalaureate (IB)

  • Please make sure UCAS is listed in the IB Information System (IBIS) as a provider who has permission to access your students' results, due on 5 July 2022. You’ll need to submit your request through the ‘request for results service’ option in IBIS. If you need any help with this, email Support@ibo.org or phone 029 2054 7740.
  • If permission is not given, we won't receive the results due on 5 July 2022. This will delay Confirmation decisions from universities or colleges.

Vocational and technical qualifcations

For vocational and technical qualifications, the date applicants receive results will depend on the qualification they are studying, the way it has been assessed, and the awarding organisation. Some qualification results will be available throughout the year as they normally are.

For more information and guidance on the awarding of VTQ results in 2022, visit the JCQ website.

My student’s grades aren’t what they expected – what can they do?

If a student’s grades aren’t what they had hoped for this year, there are a number of options available to them.

They could:

Looking after their mental health and wellbeing

For students who didn’t get the grades they wanted, this can be a difficult time. They aren’t alone, and there’s support available to help them look after their mental health and wellbeing.


Students have the right to appeal their grade. 

Universities and colleges will endeavour to be flexible in keeping places open until an outcome is received. It’s important to keep the universities and colleges informed of any appeals. 

There are variations in the appeals process depending where in the UK you are: 

Appeals in England

Appeals should initially be dealt with by the centre to ensure processes have been followed correctly and there are no errors - any errors can be submitted to the awarding body for correction. If a student still wishes to appeal, they should submit a formal appeal to the awarding body.  

Ofqual has confirmed an autumn examination series for 2022 in England.

Appeals in Wales

After results day, students in Wales may appeal to WJEC if they feel the grade was unreasonable or erroneous. 

Full details about the appeals process for the summer 2022 exams series will be made available on the Qualifications Wales website.

Appeals in Scotland

Students in Scotland will receive provisional results this year. If a student is unhappy with their grade after discussing this with the centre, they may appeal directly to SQA for free.  

Full details can be found on the SQA website.

Appeals in Northern Ireland

In the first instance, students should submit an initial appeal request to their centre. If they are unhappy with the outcome, the centre may then appeal to CCEA.  

Full details about the Post-Results Service in Northern Ireland will be made available on the CCEA website.