Get the information they need
Make sure you understand everything your child needs to know before making post-16 choices.
- Look at the qualifications available after GCSEs or National 5s as well as traineeships and apprenticeships
- Research some job ideas by looking at career and job families
- Find out about how and when to apply for courses
Help them to plan
- It's never to early to start planning — the last term of Year 10 and first term of Year 11 is an ideal time to get research underway.
- Plan to go to open days and evenings — these usually start in October or November and are a great opportunity to visit the different schools, colleges and training providers in your area.
- You can usually start applying for courses in October and November in Year 11. The application window usually remains open until the end of the spring term.
- Look into what funding may be available to your child.