Mark as read
Planned maintenance: 23 — 25 June
UCAS Undergraduate, UCAS Teacher Training, and UCAS Conservatoires

We are carrying out planned maintenance on Saturday 24 June. 

This means at times, you may become disconnected from Apply. Please do not make any changes to your application during the following times:

  • 07:30 – 08:00 on Saturday 24 June
  • 14:00 – 15:00 on Saturday 24 June

Track will also be unavailable between 09:00 – 11:00 on Saturday 24 June.

The UCAS Teacher Training search tool will also be unavailable from 18:00 on Friday 23 June until 23:59 on Sunday 25 June.

Filling in your UCAS Undergraduate application

You make your application in our online system, Apply. You don’t need do it all at once – you can save your progress and sign back in anytime.
Relevant to
How to use Apply 2017
If you’re applying for 2017 entry, watch this video to help you fill in your UCAS application.
View more videos
Cyflwyniad i Ymgeisio 2017
View more videos
Apply - personal details
Watch this video guide to find out how to fill in the personal details section of Apply.
View more videos
Apply - education section
Watch this video to guide you through how to fill in the education section of Apply.
View more videos
Apply - employment section
This video explains how to fill in your employment details in Apply.
View more videos
Signed video about how to apply
This signed video will take you through how to use the online application system through
View more videos
What do admissions staff look for in an application?
University admissions staff talk about the top things they look for in an application.
View more videos

You can only apply once in a cycle. Please don't apply more than once in a cycle, as you can't receive a refund for further applications. If you've applied in previous cycles and want to apply again, you'll have to submit a new application.

Here’s a step-by-step guide to filling in your application – you can find more help text in Apply. You can also download this short guide to  Filling in your UCAS application (1.89 MB).

Before you start your application, here are the top things admissions teams will look for when reviewing your application.

  • Qualifications.
  • Content of written personal statement displaying passion for the subject area, while demonstrating motivation, enthusiasm, and the skills and experiences that will enable you to succeed at university.
  • Quality and content of reference.
  • Knowledge of and commitment to the subject discipline.
  • Good attitude to learning and personal development.
  • Ability to articulate yourself fluently and accurately in writing – it is a sign of what's to come for tutors.

1. Register to use Apply

Add some personal details, get a username, create a password and set your security questions. Add the buzzword your school, college or centre gave you too, or if you're applying independently there’ll be a few questions.

  • ​Have you applied before?
    • You can only apply once in a cycle. Please don't apply more than once in a cycle, as you can't receive a refund for further applications. 
    • If you've applied in previous cycles and want to apply again, you'll still have to submit a new application. 
  • European characters and other languages

    You can use some ​European characters in your personal details, personal statement, employment and referee details. Some of these will be substituted with UK equivalent characters. Check our ​ Extended character sets substitution list for more details.

    It’s not possible to apply in an alternative language, unless you’re applying to Welsh course providers and you’d like to make your application entirely in Welsh. 
    1. To register in Welsh, when you go to the application service ‘Apply’, you can select ‘Cymraeg’.
    2. When you’re signed in to your application you can change the language to English or Welsh on the ‘Options’ page. 
    3. The help text in Apply is available in Welsh too.
    4. In Apply you can choose to receive correspondence from course providers and from us in Welsh.

2. Sign in to fill in the rest of your personal details

  • Funding and sponsorship options, residential status, any special needs or impairments, and any criminal convictions.
  • Add your email address – we'll show you how to verify it with us. Then we'll be able to let you know whenever your application is updated online, ready for you to sign in and check.
  • Plus you can give a parent, guardian or adviser nominated access if you'd like them to be able to speak to us on your behalf.

3. Additional info (UK applicants only)

Equality, ethnic origin, national identity, any summer schools/taster courses you attended, care and parental education, and occupational background. These questions aren’t compulsory or used for selection purposes – they’re just helpful for statistics.

4. Student finance (UK and EU applicants only)

This page might appear if certain questions are answered in the ‘personal details’ sections. 

We don’t arrange student finance ourselves, but if you’re looking for financial support, you can give us permission here to share your info with the student loans/awards organisation you apply to – which should speed up the process. 

5. Course choices

You can choose up to five courses (all now or some later). There’s no preference order and your universities/colleges won’t see where else you’ve applied until after you reply to any offers you get.

  • ​Applying for medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or veterinary science?

    For these subjects you can only apply to a maximum of four courses in any one of medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or veterinary science.

    You can add choices with a different deadline later, but don’t forget you can only have five choices in total. 

  • ​Applying to the University of Oxford or the University of Cambridge?
    Usually you can only apply to one course at either the University of Oxford or the University of Cambridge. 

    There are exceptions though – if you'll be a graduate at the start of the course, and you're applying for graduate medicine (course code A101) at the University of Cambridge, you could then also apply to medicine (course code A100) at Cambridge, as well as graduate medicine (course code A101) at the University of Oxford. (Some applicants will need to complete an additional application form to apply – visit the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge websites for more information.)

  • Are you applying for deferred entry?

    If you are, make sure you’ve checked that the university or college accepts deferred entry applications for the course.

    They may not be offering the course the following year, may be changing it, or prefer students not to have a gap in study before they start their degree.  

6. Full education history

You must enter all your qualifications from secondary education onwards – whether you have the result (even any that were ungraded) or you’re still awaiting exams and results. 

For course results you're still waiting for, these are the exam results we're able to process and forward on to unis and colleges. If any of your pending qualifications aren't on here, you still need to add them to your application, but also remember you’ll need to send the results on to your chosen universities and colleges when you get them.

If you studied at a uni or college but didn't finish the course, you still need to enter these details. Include the start and finish date, and state that you didn't receive any qualifications there.

If you are currently studying for a qualification or awaiting results, it is important you make sure your referee adds your predicted grades to your application – some universities and colleges will not consider your application without them. 

  • Tips for adding AS and A levels

    Our advisers’ blog has tips on adding AS and A levels.

  • International and EU students
    • Make sure you add as much detail as possible – including grades and results. Without enough information universities might struggle to make a decision.
    • Qualifications are listed by name and country, but don’t worry if yours isn’t there – just add it into the ‘other’ box.
    • You may have to send proof of your results in certificates or transcripts. At UCAS, we’re able to send some of your results – including the International Baccalaureate – but for most international qualifications you’ll have to send them to the university or college yourself. Different universities and colleges have different policies for how they want to receive results. Some might ask for them as soon as you apply – others might do their initial assessment of your application before asking to see proof of your results. 
  • Mature students

    If you can't find your school exam certificates, contact the school or local authority, but if you have no luck, contact the course providers you're applying to and discuss your options.

    If you're adding an Access course to your application, there are four different kinds of Access course to choose from, so it's important to enter the correct one.
    • Access to HE Certificate

    • Access (other)

    • Access to HE Diploma (ungraded – last award 2011)

    • Access to HE Diploma (2009 onwards)

    If you're unsure it's best to speak to your Access course provider to check. Then fill in the details as follows:


    Select from the drop-down list, or if it's not there, use the 'Other' box to type it.

    Qualification date

    Enter either the date your qualification was awarded, or the date you expect to receive your results.

    Access Validating Agency

    Enter the name of the board that awards your qualification.


    Enter either 'Pending' or 'Completed'.


    Access to HE qualifications are now divided into units, rather than modules. How many units you need to enter depends on the type of Access qualification you are taking or have achieved.

    If your qualification is the Access to HE Diploma (2009 onwards), it's compulsory to add at least one of the units – there's space for 20 units so please add all of them, if possible. If you achieved a Diploma before the introduction of the new specification in September 2015, you may have achieved more than 20 units, so please contact your chosen universities and colleges for guidance on how to send additional unit details to them directly.

    If you completed your Access qualification before 2009, your chosen universities and colleges may still need details of your units – either all of them or particular ones – so it's always best to check directly with the university or college.

    Please also enter the amount of credits allocated to each unit under the heading 'Credit value'.

7. Your employment history

If you've had any paid jobs – full-time or part-time – here's where you can enter details for up to five of them. Include company names, addresses, job descriptions and start/finish dates.

Mention any unpaid or voluntary work in your personal statement.

8. Write a personal statement

This is your chance to show universities and colleges why you want to study the course and why you'd make a great student. It might take a while until you’re happy with it and you’ve checked it through with teachers, advisers or family, so it’s a good idea to start early.

9. View all the details

See if you need to make any edits, then mark it as complete and save it.

Once you’ve marked all previous sections as complete, you’ll be able to read and agree to the declaration – which allows us to process your info and send it to your chosen universities/colleges. You’ll then be able to move on to the final sections.

10. Then get a reference, pay your application fee and send your application to us

A reference is a written recommendation from a teacher, adviser or professional who knows you academically. Everyone needs a reference, unless you get permission from your chosen universities and colleges. You must have a completed reference on your application before it is sent to us.

The application fee is £13 if you’re applying to just one course, or £24 for multiple courses and for late applications sent after 30 June. 

Trouble paying for your application? We've put together a  handy guide (227.43 KB) to help you. A Welsh version of this guide (227.39 KB) is also available.
  • ​Applying through a school, college or centre?

    They will let you know whether and when you should pay them, so they can pay us. Alternatively, they'll tell you to pay UCAS direct by credit/debit card, and you do this before the reference is added to your application.

    They will then send your application to us on your behalf. They may even set you an earlier deadline to complete your application than the UCAS deadline you’re aiming to meet – this will be to allow them time to arrange your reference for you.

  • ​Applying as an individual?

    After the reference is added, pay by debit/credit card online, then submit your application to us.

  • ​Applying from prison?

    If you're applying from prison, as well as an academic reference, you also need a statement from the prison authorities – saying you're suitable and available for the start date.

  • Applying with no fixed address?
    You need to provide an address on your UCAS application, as well as on your application for student finance. It’s important to give an address you can collect mail from.