Supporting your son or daughter
Practical advice to help you through the application cycle.
You can also read more below on what to study and how to apply.
Extra is open
If you son or daughter has used all five choices and doesn't have any offers, they can now use Extra to add another choice. Find out more.
The top 10 things your son or daughter should do
- Start research early – higher education has a lot of options to choose from.
- Know the deadlines – for some courses they need to apply almost a year in advance.
- Join the UCAS e-card scheme – if they're in a UK school and aiming for university in 2015.
- Search for courses – something they would enjoy or be interested in.
- Go to UCAS events and course provider open days – speak with us or higher education staff.
- Check entry requirements – make sure they can get the grades they need.
- Write several drafts of their personal statement – get feedback and refine it until they're happy.
- Understand student finance – so they can make the best arrangements.
- Understand how Extra and Clearing work – chances to apply to more courses.
- Visit our Facebook and Twitter regularly to get advice and ask questions.
Jamila Khan24 April 2014
Clare F Hobba24 April 2014
Julie Salt-Cowell24 April 2014
Steph Horrocks24 April 2014
Clara Martin24 April 2014
Vivian Lee24 April 2014
India Bottomley24 April 2014
David Jaskiewicz24 April 2014
Chris Rowlands24 April 2014
Emma Alexander24 April 2014
Steven Sharpe24 April 2014
Tiffany Khoo24 April 2014
Lea Pfefferman24 April 2014