Supporting your son or daughter
Practical advice to help you through the application cycle.
You can also read more below on what to study and how to apply.
Extra is open
If you son or daughter has used all five choices and doesn't have any offers, they can now use Extra to add another choice. Find out more.
The top 10 things your son or daughter should do
- Start research early – higher education has a lot of options to choose from.
- Know the deadlines – for some courses they need to apply almost a year in advance.
- Join the UCAS e-card scheme – if they're in a UK school and aiming for university in 2015.
- Search for courses – something they would enjoy or be interested in.
- Go to UCAS events and course provider open days – speak with us or higher education staff.
- Check entry requirements – make sure they can get the grades they need.
- Write several drafts of their personal statement – get feedback and refine it until they're happy.
- Understand student finance – so they can make the best arrangements.
- Understand how Extra and Clearing work – chances to apply to more courses.
- Visit our Facebook and Twitter regularly to get advice and ask questions.
Jamila Khan19 April 2014
Clare F Hobba19 April 2014
Julie Salt-Cowell19 April 2014
Steph Horrocks19 April 2014
Clara Martin19 April 2014
Vivian Lee19 April 2014
India Bottomley19 April 2014
David Jaskiewicz19 April 2014
Chris Rowlands19 April 2014
Emma Alexander19 April 2014