Supporting your son or daughter
Practical advice to help you through the application cycle.
You can also read more below on what to study and how to apply.
Don’t forget the 15 October deadline! Applications for courses at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge, and most courses in medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine/science should be with us by 18:00 on this date. But different courses have other deadlines – check when to apply.
How the application process works
How to support your son or daughter
The top 10 things your son or daughter should do
- Start research early – higher education has a lot of options to choose from.
- Know the deadlines – for some courses they need to apply almost a year in advance.
- Search for courses – something they would enjoy or be interested in.
- Go to UCAS events and course provider open days – speak with us or higher education staff.
- Check entry requirements – make sure they can get the grades they need.
- Write several drafts of their personal statement – get feedback and refine it until they're happy.
- Understand student finance – so they can make the best arrangements. Check our money advice for parents.
- Be prepared for results day and make sure they have everything ready.
- Understand how Extra and Clearing work – chances to apply to more courses.
- Visit our Facebook and Twitter regularly to get advice and ask questions.
Julie Salt-Cowell24 September 2014
Jamila Khan24 September 2014
Clare F Hobba24 September 2014
Vivian Lee24 September 2014
India Bottomley24 September 2014
Steph Horrocks24 September 2014
Clara Martin24 September 2014
Emma Alexander24 September 2014
David Jaskiewicz24 September 2014
Chris Rowlands24 September 2014
Lea Pfefferman24 September 2014
Steven Sharpe24 September 2014
Tiffany Khoo24 September 2014